Your wedding is bound to come with a few blips… Like a bra strap that won’t stay in place, spinach between your teeth or a tear in your betrothed’s tux seam.
Now, if you’ve chosen to take on overseeing the day’s events instead of hiring a planner or day of coordinator, who will have their bag of tricks handy for these little mishaps, you’re going to need one of your own. We certainly don’t expect you to lug around the suitcase size container packed with every solution to the wedding day minor mishap the way we do, but there are some essentials that a bride and groom shouldn’t be without. Since you’re going to have these items anyway, why not stock your emergency kit with ones that are earth and people friendly?
- Hairspray – Both the environment and your hair don’t enjoy the layers of harmful chemicals that are often used to keep your do in place. Aubrey Organics NuStyle Organic Hairspray and Onesta’s Workable Finishing Spray use ingredients like quinoa protein and milk thistle extract to keep your locks looking lovely without the stuff that’s bad for you.
- Dental Floss – Don’t even consider those floss picks. Convenient they may be, but those there are just a pile of plastic waiting to happen. Choose a floss that is not coated with petroleum-derived and environmentally damaging chemicals and one that is sold in minimal packaging. Look for unwaxed or natural wax coating and one that isn’t tested on animals (Look for the Leaping Bunny logo for cruelty-free products)
- Nail polish (both clear and the color you and your bridesmaids are wearing) – Start off right by having your nail tech use eco-friendly polishes and then add them to your kit. Try Priti NYC polishes. They are completely non-toxic and made without toluene, dibutyl phthalate (DHB) and formaldehyde.
- Nail Polish Remover – Priti NYC also makes soy polish remover wipes. Both the wipes and polishes can be found in the Green Bride Guide wedding shop.
- Nail File – You may have read this scary fact before: You could fill an entire football stadium with the number of emery boards that end up in the landfills every year. Gross. Invest in a crystal glass file. They’re made from recycled materials and many are made with lead-free, environmentally safe dyes. One of these could actually last your entire lifetime!
- Mouthwash – Don’t want to swish around a mouthful of FD&C Blue 1 (a synthetic dye produced from petroleum)? I don’t blame you. Killing bad breath shouldn’t be so hazardous to your health! Try a mouthwash that doesn’t have alcohol but a natural germ fighting ingredients instead. Dessert Essence makes a tea tree oil mouthwash that’s great. Your toothpaste should follow the same guidelines.
- Toothbrushes – Who knew a toothbrush could do so much more than clean your teeth? When you eliminate the plastic and opt for a bamboo toothbrush, you can participate in Smile Squared’s program called Rethink Buying™. For every toothbrush that you purchase, they send one to a child that doesn’t own one. Nice way to give back! Another cool company is Preserve. Their toothbrushes are made from recycled yogurt cups! 100% post-consumer recycled plastic and Nylon bristles. Plus, the recycled plastic wrapper doubles as a prepaid mailer so you can send it back to be recycled again!
- Deodorant – Between your nerves and you tearing up the dance floor, you’ll need this for sure. Here’s what you should know: The primary ingredient used in most antiperspirants is aluminum, which is a metal. And has been linked to breast cancer. Deodorants & antiperspirants can also contain parabens & Propylene glycol (a petroleum based material). None of this is good for you. Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant comes in heavenly scents (a nice alternative, don’t you think?) and they promise that their product is vegan, cruelty-free, propylene glycol-free, paraben-free and phthalate-free.
These are just a few of the basics. A wedding day emergency kit contains dozens, if not hundreds, of items – giving you that many opportunities to make a greener choice. Nevertheless, as with everything else, opting for even just a couple of eco-friendly items will make a difference!